Search This Blog

Monday, July 28, 2014

A new word we might be able to use

*
[CONCEITS AND VANITIES]

HIPsight should be a word---a noun---that is shorthand for "something hidden in plain sight" or, alternately, "the quality of being hidden in plain sight". If there were such a word, I might categorize it as an acromanteau, meaning that it is a blending of two words, like a portmanteau, but with one of the words being an acronym or brevity code. As the word first entered limited usage (by HIPsters!), it would be capitalized as it is at the beginning of this paragraph. Mass communication being what it is, I'd expect the spelling to rapidly self-demote to all-lowercase letters, like any other common noun.

I hereby claim the words HIPsight and aromanteau as my personal, original coinages. Likewise, I hereby bequeath these words to humanity for all uses in conversation and other intellectual discourse, but not for trademarking or other commercial use by permission of myself, the creator.

Thank you for your attention in this matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment