Search This Blog

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Socks full of Vick's VapoRub

*
In a comments thread for the Lieberman post on 7 November Big Rock Head suggested that I fill some warm socks with VapoRub and wear them to bed, or something, to treat my chest cold. Matter of fact, earlier yesterday I got email from VAR Of The DAR who suggested the same thing. I was feeling so miserable, and couldn't breathe, that I saw no harm in trying. So I greased up the soles of my feet and put on some socks, then went night-night. The damp chemical warmth was a little weird, but not too weird for Science.

Guess what? I had the best sleep of my illness. My airway stayed clear for the duration. This was not a formal scientific study because I also used a Vick's inhaler shortly before bed, and there was at least one other variable I temporarily forget (probably B&B). But I'm trying it again tonight. Will publish results sometime tomorrow, maybe with an update on my shaving razor field research!

5 comments:

  1. some 1950s mothers used to grease up a piece of flannel with vaporub and put it on a sick child's chest at night. Probably the same thing going on. Now that makes me wonder if the inhaler would work better used as a suppository.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should also try rubbing limburger cheese on your chest. And since the hell when do you get sick? I only remember one time about 12 years ago when you were sick, and that was because you were sleeping with your feet hanging out of the window.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to tell my professor that his method seems to work...he has been trying to get someone to try that since class started, and I would have if I had some vapor rub.

    ReplyDelete
  4. feet as conduits for health. This is true-- plantation owners in the old south used to sleep with slave children on their feet, to "suck out" the rheumatism and other ailments. If anything it seems to have sucked out most of their IQ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BO: sorry, but people are not allowed to be sarcastic in these comments threads.

    Beardy: It baffles science, doesn't it? Usually I never felt better in my life. Why, just the other day I... eeeeeeee bee be bee... chk chk!

    BRH: will have a new VapoRub datum for your professor later this evening.

    ReplyDelete