Search This Blog

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Saturday Night Fish Fry Junior!

*
Hokey smoke, Bullwinkle! It's an ultra-rare Saturday night twin spin!



Why? Because when I walked into Schunck's (The Friendliest Store In Town, I'll have you know!) to shop for victuals this evening, I was pleasantly smacked upside the head to hear this terrific summer 1966 wimp-rocker in progress. It's a swingin' guilty pleasure, what can I say? Musta heard this repeatedly on transistor radios at the Indiana Dunes; I can practically feel the sun blistering my skin off and smell other people's suntan lotion as I listen to it.

This was the title tune from a comeback album by one Ezekiel Christopher Montanez. Wikipedia sez, "The title single from the album, sung in a soft, very high tenor range and played on primarily adult-formatted radio stations, confused some disc jockeys...." Haha! "Very high tenor" indeed --- I think they used to call that "alto." Anyway, the title single didn't "confuse" the program directors at WLS and WCFL in Chicago that summer, because that's where and when I done imprinted on it like a baby bird.

Other Wikipedia things I did not know: this tune was penned in 1945, and was performed earlier by Sara Vaughn, Nat Cole and Nancy Wilson, and even (date unknown) by the great Johnny Hartman.

The More I See You, Chris Montez (1966, A&M Records), via YouTube.

2 comments:

  1. It's crackers to slip the rozzer the dropsy in snide, Clyde!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon: for some reason I find that statement infuriating, like when someone says that something is "tasty."

    ReplyDelete