Search This Blog

Friday, October 29, 2010

The plains of Persia

*
Persia, Iowa: realm of the noble Rep. Steve King, a mile down the road from the simple country demesne of Rusty and Lucky (the Baby Boom's answer to Ma and Pa Kettle). A quick, crowd-pleasing creekscape, lightly processed using the Adobe Bridge RAW processor and Photoshop for exposure and color correction, fussily cropped. RAW is a file format presenting raw data from the camera sensor. The Bridge RAW processor gives you an insane amount of easy controls that are often sufficient to whip out a quick, crowdpleasing landscape.



I probably put as much effort into this shot and the postprocessing as Larry Kanfer puts into any given "prairiescape," i.e., not much, but at this point I don't have a way to sell mine for $600, bare, like Kanfer does. Kanfer's work has ornamented the great rooms of Champaign-Urbana Junior League types for over 30 years now. Myself, I've always felt his photos lack soul, and many of them appear short on aesthetics and even proficiency. But what do I know about it if an auto dealership heiress wants to pay easy money for the stuff?

Editor's note: any problems with the aesthetics of this image are the fault of the creek channel and not the photographer. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

2 comments:

  1. The lyrical use of light and shadow...the inter-woven play of textures as from an artists brush...mon dieu!

    Kenny Kodachrome (art critic)

    ReplyDelete
  2. K2: Thanks! I wish I could take credit for the lighting, but that was prearranged by circumstances beyond my ken. On that particular day out, though, clouds were passing rapidly and the lighting conditions were in constant flux. Through my meager attempts to create artistic stuff, the most profound insight I've had is how minuscule changes in anything---lightfall, traces of pigments added to a paint palette, etc---can make a huge difference in the observed result. Incidentally, for this scene, the Nikon D700 recorded colors more vibrant than I remembered them, so I actually dialed back the vibrance a little in digital postprocessing.

    ReplyDelete