Search This Blog

Thursday, November 1, 2012

The dawn of Rodan

*
Look at this monster. This is what greeted me when I raised the honeycomb-type window shade in my bedchamber this morning.

I see hawks in the yard fairly often owing to all the hawk feeding stations (i.e., songbird feeders) I have deployed throughout Moronica International State Park, the confines within which I live. But when I raised the shade, this juggernaut startled me all the way from the back of the property, at least 50 ft away from the window. My best guess is that his body alone, excluding his head and tail, was the size of a football.

Naturally, the battery was dead in the Nikon D-80 I've hung by the windows for such occasions. But Rodan seemed to be taking his time, so I was able to load a fresh cell, open the special non-screened shooting gallery window in the so-called breakfast nook adjoining the master suite, and began firing off snapshots. The zoom lens, extending only to a maximum of 200 mm, is barely adequate for capturing detail at such a distance.

After spazzing out just to make sure I captured something, I slowed down to start watching in order to select shots. The raptor's head was pretty mobile while eviscerating his breakfast, so timing matters. (I've never used a motor drive to capture "the decisive moment" through an accident of statistical probability since I consider it to be lazy.) While watching more closely I noticed some interesting detail accompanying nature's majestic pageant of evisceration. Pictured is an example.

After capturing about a dozen shots I put the camera away. And then, a minute later it occurred to me that I was stupid for not trying to sneak up on him for a closer view. So I got out the D-80 once more and sneaked out the quiet way---out the front door and around the west side. I couldn't get any closer, but I was able to shoot from a different angle. Obligingly, Rodan pivoted clockwise to show me a couple of profiles. Here is the best:


After this shot, I moved closer and Rodan effortlessly hopped over a 5 ft. fence with a partial squirrel carcass in its talon. Neither a Cooper's hawk nor the sharp-shinned hawk is large or strong enough to own a squirrel like this; I've watched and photographed one (either/or) be thwarted by your typical, everyday d-bag squirrel for several minutes. I have never seen this species before at close range, and my quick effort to identify it using my phone app turned up nothing. I think this is the same bird I pointed out to Beer-D recently, looking every bit the monster soaring lazily at 200 or 300 feet aloft. Apart from his size, I can't find any hawk species native to this area that has a clear, white breast. Also distinct from the local populations is the eye color---almost a light green-gold---and the rufous-brown shading behind the eye and around the beak. (However, the color around the beak might also be a swab of squirrel blood.) Judging from the tail so nicely displayed in this photo, he's (she's?) obviously not a red-tail. But then, there are differences in species based on gender, age, and even subspecies variants.

It will be a day or two before I can identify this beast. Maybe there's a bird watcher reading who knows what it is. If you click on either photo, it should display itself much larger.

8 comments:

  1. Maybe the renowned Hillcrest Hawk? Seriously though, not necessarily a native. Hawks migrate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I do know that Hillcrest Hawks migrate; just try to find one who still lives in Hazel Crest or Country Club Hills. I do believe you're Diggin' Roots.

      Delete
  2. For ID got bupkiss right off...one guess is that the feather/coat pattern is from more northern snow/forest climes. Possibly seriously north.

    And....from sublime to ridiculous on the appearance front:

    "But mostly it’s this costume, he looks like a tragic condiment accident at a hot dog stand."

    as found at:

    http://gone-and-forgotten.blogspot.com/

    nom de plume,
    Hawkman





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't look like that blog is very active. Might have burned himself out with the overly ambitious posts. Too bad---he might have kept it going with shorter pieces. There's no shortage of material to skewer.

      Delete
  3. "Northern Harrier"? Coat/markings similar. Not so sure about yellow beak band and especially yellow legs.


    pics at:

    http://www.google.com/search?q=northern+hawks+pictures&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=gY-VUO7lIZP7yAGA_IHwCw&ved=0CDUQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=660#hl=en&tbo=d&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=northern+harrier+hawk+pictures&oq=northern+harrier+hawk+pictures&gs_l=img.3..0i24.7593.12171.0.12234.22.9.0.8.8.0.141.751.8j1.9.0...0.0...1c.1.AJtX7e7jxmw&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=a9c9d5fb0b1dc12b&bpcl=37189454&biw=1024&bih=660


    details and range at:

    http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Northern_Harrier/id



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The harriers are nice-looking birds. Others have told me about sightings, but I've never seen one. Some of the white-breasted versions in your google search look similar, but lack the speckles below the belt. I believe I figured it out, but you'll just have to tune in for the next post, same bat-channel, etc.

      Delete
  4. PS Most likely a female (mottled and less "display" i.e. the yellow bits).


    And also, both predatory and up in the air - some recent credible polling data:

    http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/images/user3303/imageroot/2012/10-2/20121103_elect.jpg

    O: needs to find 42
    R: needs to find 80
    (270 to win)

    Either way, post election, it would seem that multiple large gobs of sheet are hurtling toward the proverbial fan. Syria blows up, Europe and US economy falls down,....

    Hawkman




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of our indigenous hawks have very similar mottling across species, and there is little conspicuous difference between males and females. Juveniles are a different story, though.

      There is some very ugly news bubbling up in Florida, SC, and Ohio already, including polling station bomb threats and "citizens" interrogating voters standing in line waiting for a ballot. All of it has to do with voter intimidation and disenfranchisement. The Ohio Secretary of State should already be in jail for contempt of court. I'll try to post something later if I can stomach it.

      Delete