Search This Blog

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Saturday Night Fish Fry!!!

*
I don't think anybody plays the role of comical ultraviolent maniac like Louis Jordan.



I don't know about you, but to me this guy sounds scarier than any rap-chart "gangsta" I've ever heard. There's no preening here; he's a natural-born Method Actor. In the right time---meaning at least 15 years after his prime, unfortunately---I think Jordan might have been a very successful mainstream comic actor.

(Editor's note: not my fault, but I apologize for the crappy visuals that the poster attached to the front end of the video. At least he uploaded a masterpiece for us to enjoy, though.)

Dad Gum Ya Hide, Boy, Louis Jordan & His Tympany Five (1954, from "One Guy Named Louis: The Complete Aladdin Sessions"; CD reissue Capitol Jazz CDP 7 96804 2 [1992]), via YouTube, embedded for noncommercial commentary, critical discussion, and educational purposes.

4 comments:

  1. if he used that voice as an actor these days he'd probably be playing a female in a Tyler Perry movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Louis was just being Louis there. I'm the most unplugged person on the internet, so I only barely know who Tyler Perry is. I thought he played his own female characters.

      Delete
  2. That was catchy.

    Not sure about Me blogging. I get in enough trouble as it is. My daughter keeps telling me "the power of the zip" Dad. Good to see you back on a regular basis.

    59

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for saying so. But I think your daughter is going to have to explain "power of the zip" to me, too. You're not the only geezer in the house, internetwise.

      Delete