Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Bigger than the sun

Thanks to Big Rock Head, I found myself out in the brisk December dark to help the little guy with an automotive coolant application. Noticing it to be the first clear night since gazoo, I got home and brought the binoculars out into the front yard to find Comet Holmes.

It's still out there, but far away from where we viewed it on Healey Street a month ago. At about 2100 Central Standard Time it was about 15 degrees off top dead center, slightly northeast. Very diffuse, but huge. The comet's apparent diameter is now larger than the moon or the sun. You really should try to view this thing, especially if you can get away from light pollution. It's rare that comets are so convenient to look at. Google "Comet Holmes" to find an up-to-date sky map. There are all sorts of comet wonks out there who will help you find it (would provide you a link myself, but I'm too busy). I'm using 7 X 25 Nikon binoculars, which collect a lot of light, but I'm told that 10 x 50s are optimal for the human eye. So, unless you have lizard eyes, go out and take a look. Tip: we cannot see its tail from our angle of view on Terra; it looks like a large, pale haze-ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment