Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Blago blogging

*
I apologize if the title of this post isn't original to you. But it's new to me as of 21:08 CST.

It would be naive to think that a state governor has never tried to play high-stakes tit-for-tat with a Senate seat appointment. Wouldn't it? But what are we to think, really, of a state governor --- under federal investigation for at least 3 years with "imminent indictment" rumors swirling around the state for several months?

Stupid? I know it's "cute" to say so, and Blago may barely scrape into three digits, IQ-wise. But his reported behavior really can't satisfactorily be explained away that easily. Chutzpah may get a little closer to serving as a feasible explanation, if that word encompasses epic-scale obliviousness to the consequences of planning a criminal conspiracy without using code words and euphemisms. But what could account for such an Olympian disconnect from reality?

If Blago is really guilty of trying to shake down the President elect and even possibly Warren Buffett, then it's clear to me that he's criminally insane. The guy belongs in Arkham Asylum.

In TPM's fantasy movie about Blago, David Kurtz would cast Steve Carrell on the basis of appearance and the ability to portray cluelessness. But I'd recommend Michael Badalucco, who portrayed Baby Face Nelson in O Brother Where Art Thou. Badalucco would be perfect: more babyfaced than the gangster, like Blago; nuts the size of coffee cans, acting-wise; and a peerless performance as a bipolar criminal thrill-seeker. The photo above is the historical George "Baby Face" Nelson. I curse the World Wide Web for not having a readily available picture of Badalucco strutting his stuff with speeding sedans, tommy guns, and dairy cows.

7 comments:

  1. if Blago's eyes were any closer together would he be a cyclops, or a Ted Rall drawing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I don't answer rhetorical questions. Please make a note of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what's a rhetorical question?

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's not like stupormundi to adopt such a gay nickname like "Blago"...the stupormundi I know would scoff at such a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I'll NEVER be a U.S. Senator!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BO: according to The Free Dictionary by Farlex, a rhetorical question is "a question to which no answer is required, used for dramatic effect, for example 'who knows'?" Thanks for asking.

    BRH: thank you for attention to the nuance of my writings. You are correct: I would never have coined such a monicker for Blagojevich even if I've always thought he was a monumental juicebag. But "Blago" is what the Chicago headline writers have called him for years, so I finna just go with that because I have other priorities. Thanks for asking.

    Beardy: thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so, my second question wasn't rhetorical, since it was answered. And, by the way, thanks for answering. But if you (or I) ask a question to which you (or I)don't expect an answer but you (or I) get one anyway, does that mean the answer is rhetorical (or not)?

    ReplyDelete