Search This Blog

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Saturday Night Fish Fry

*
You know she was a dancer / She moved better on wine



I don't have much to say about this lummox-rocker*, one of my favorites of all time, except that I heard it over and over again on an 8-track in Fred's hopped-up red GTO around 1970-way and permanently bonded with it. I consider it the original cowbell song, and the overdrive bass riff sounded like an entire orchestra to me (back 1970-way). The story behind the composing of Mississippi Queen was new to me as of tonight, though.

As an aside, the video accompanying this tune is almost A-OK with me, lummox-wise, except that the footage from Two Lane Blacktop is squashed left-to-right and the motorcycle stuff doesn't belong at all. I love the color of Steve McQueen's Mustang, too.

Oh yeah, and in terms of "this day in history," I just happened to learn on the FM robot oldies station that on this day in 1983 Mountain bassist Felix Pappalardi met his maker thanks to some "criminally negligent homicide" served up with a bullet by his wife, Gail. (Poor guy had to retire early due to partial hearing loss incurred by entertaining a generation of lowriding stoners. Peace, Felix.)
________________________
* To the best of my knowledge, the term "lummox rock" was invented by Larry K.

5 comments:

  1. coming soon-- zz top

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon: not a fuckin' chance... unless....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From the continuity department:

    1. Steve's 'Tang seems to change makes in MID-chase
    2. apparently the Goat's hubcap from the spare (and the spare's spare?) manages to make an appearance...
    3. Otherwise, THE quintessential car chase (cut the other motorcycle and hemi crap).

    Signed,
    Thalberg (desk of)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thalberg: continuity flux is, to me, no problem in a cartesterone-propelled montage for purposes of illustrating classic lummox-rock. However, now I do want to rent Bullitt and look for the continuity howlers. If you like that chase you might also like "The Driver," starring the creepy Bruce Dern. Memories are vague, but there's some primo stunt driving from the days before it all became cliches and flying explosions. Some really nifty scenes in a parking deck, if I remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete