Search This Blog

Friday, May 21, 2010

Friday Evening Prayer Meeting

*
Well you don’t have to lie ‘cause I’m no fool.
I can see you don’t want my love at all.
I know... I still love you.



Here's another example from that tiny sub-genre of rockin bipolar romance-gone-bad lullabies like we shared at the previous Prayer Meeting. In my opinion, "Everybody Knows" is a real gem of pop-rock art: an irreducible kernel of universal young-adult experience (a piece of Truth, as Larry K. would say) presented in a rapidly alternating manic-depressive form, both lyrically and musically... in one minute and 40 seconds!

I really like the brash yet minimalist set used on this Shindig performance, as on many others from the British Invasion era. Probably the result of trying to make the most of a small production budget. Well done! And I have no problem with a reasonable lipsync job for a performance primarily intended for a TV audience (as opposed to the hack job The Who did at Superbowl Previous) since the studio audience was there to eavesdrop and was not the actual target audience.

I made up my very own rock trivia question based on the Dave Clark 5 (i.e., never previously heard by me). Here it is: Name the group that had two different songs of the same title on the pop charts four years apart. It's the DC5, as I say, with this tune and another one called "Everybody Knows" from 1968. The latter is completely forgettable, in my opinion, which makes this an excellent '60s music trivia question (even though I, myself, think trivia sucks). And Lenny Davidson is no Mike Smith --- I'll take a coupla lungsful of gravel versus a quart of treacle any day! (As long as they're someone else's lungs.)

Everybody Knows, Dave Clark 5 on Shindig (1964), via YouTube.

2 comments:

  1. does trivia suck only when it is identified as such or even when it goes unnamed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boom Boom: I understand your question and it is a fair one. I misspoke. The facts we categorize as trivia often not only have redeeming social value but also help to illuminate certain connections or associations that enrich our understanding of culture. What I meant to say is that I disdain the act of fetishing trivial facts as if it were some kind of meaningful human capability. To me, filling one's head with context-free trivia seems to be to be a self-loathing way to waste one's own mental bandwidth and make it unavailable for important work. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

    ReplyDelete