Search This Blog

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Central Illinois corn palace

*
I spotted this stately yet unassuming mansion this afternoon about 5 miles south of my comfort zone in southeastern Champaign County on the way to Douglas County. I snapped it on the way back into town, maybe about 5:30 p.m., as the sunlight was softening toward gold.



The architect should take a bow for exploiting this archetypal structural form of the rural midwest, penetrating walls and roof with the pairs of twin gables and enormous picture windows (another one on the southern elevation). The place must be full of light and elbow room, and I'd particularly enjoy seeing how the elongated, double-decker gables play out in the interior, function-wise. Hopefully, the designer paid attention to energy sustainability, too. I think this building is miles ahead of the generic, predesigned suburban-style houses with which everybody else feels it necessary to litter our rural roadsides. If I ever had to rebuild from scratch in town, I'd strongly consider using the design. It's aesthetically well matched to our region and, as an extra bonus, it would stir up the pod people in my neighborhood.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, build one on your street-- but what would Rudy say (or is he one of the pod people)? Is this built from scratch or a converted barn in its original utilitarian location?

    Re the photo and the light-- RC should save up a week of vacation for next Sept and take his big-ass camera on a slow road trip along a particular latitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister's best friend grew up in a barn conversion. It was a great house. That is an awesome picture, worthy of an interior look around. Go knock on the door!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big Oldis: Rudy would think the barn is cool --- would probably make him feel right at home. I think the one pictured is an original construct based on the barn design; there's a considerably smaller barn of similar design, and somewhat weathered, further back in the property. Also, more photos are in the future, some day.

    59er: Thanks for the compliment. If I ever see someone outside there I'll hail them. Unfortunately, in my 29 years here, I've found the area people to be pretty closed and suspicious of that sort of "encroachment."

    ReplyDelete