Search This Blog

Saturday, August 28, 2010

The origin of Big Otis (28 August 1949)

*
See Part I here. Now, Part II (sez Wikipedia):

1511 --- the Portuguese conquer Malacca. That's right, you malaccas: Malacca!

1830 --- Tom Thumb, the prototype steam locomotive with the really cute name, is demonstrated to an investor group; it almost beat a horse-drawn railroad carriage in an impromptu race.

1990 --- Iraq annexes Kuwait... for a month or so.

I know, I know. Boring as hell, pretty much. But wait: I've discovered a new notable born on this very day in history. Year: 1917; world, say hello to The King --- Jack "King" Kirby, that is. Way to go --- much more impressive than Leo "Snooze" Tolstoy! (OMG --- JK!!!)

And at the very foundations of history, in 1949, a star is born:



Yogi: "Hey, Lady! Why the Beard?!?"

BO: "Ya dinna ken who I am?"

Yes, Big Hussein Otis, we do indeed ken who you am. Happy birthday, little fella.

No comments:

Post a Comment