Search This Blog

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Predator on the premises

*

I've been watching this impressive little raptor this spring as he has scouted my bird feeders for victuals. Two weeks ago he, or someone very much like him, slammed into my house---the siding, I believe, not a window---presumably while trying to pick a morsel off the two-prong pole near the back of my house. When I got to the back window to investigate, I saw some feathers swirling around and a hawk standing on the ground between the house and the feeder. He hopped to the top of the pole, then flew away, probably embarrassed with himself. Didn't get a good look at him then, though.

Then, a week ago, I came upon this guy with a freshly caught juvenile starling in its talons. He hopped over the fence for more privacy, but I went around and was able to observe him for several minutes at a distance as he picked at his still-living captive.

Today, interrupting myself from a writing task upstairs, I saw him perched atop the two-prong feeder near the ground-floor back windows. I observed him for probably 5 minutes total. Only after about 3 minutes, when he hopped first to the ground then farther away to the patio, did it occur to me to grab a camera. The best I could do was the Sony F717, a fairly high-end older point-and-shoot setup with a fixed Carl Zeiss (i.e., high-quality) zoom lens. I fumbled with it just to find a suitable auto configuration and managed to snap five or six frames while he perched on the arm of the heavy-duty captain's chair normally reserved for Rudy. I wasn't optimistic by the results, but was pleasantly surprised to see the large-scale snapshots. This is the best one, cropped at full resolution but compressed somewhat as a jpeg file. If you click the picture, you should see a decent enlargement with a critical detail for identification purposes.

I am officially identifying this creature as a juvenile or near-adult Sharp-Shinned Hawk. I'd been thinking he was probably a Cooper's hawk, but he is smaller than one I saw last year, and based on previous glimpses he appears to be more aggressive than Cooper's are reputed to be in chasing prey into foliage. The telltale clue is the yellow eye, which aren't found on Cooper's hawks. When comparing this picture with photos on Cornell's bird website, All About Birds, I was satisfied that his head configuration and feather patterns match those of the Sharp-Shinned Hawk.

Beer-D and I call this guy "Omar," in tribute to the oddly ethical "stick-up boy" from HBO's series The Wire. I can't actually verify his gender, but we choose to consider Omar to be a male unless the contrary is proved by an ornithologist.

My lesson learned for the day was to move my Nikon D80 from the closet to a hook by the back windows, set to fully automatic mode with a freshly charged battery and a zoom lens attached. Duh. (Slow learner.)

6 comments:

  1. bet you're the only one in the neighborhood who stuffs his bird feeder with mammal entrails to attract raptors.

    Stuff a can of beer in there and see what shows up

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw the headline I thought you'd be writing about Dominique Strauss-Kahn.

    Lucky you. Birds are a marvel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Avian chum laced with drugs to incite a winged feeding frenzy. Could be a crazy Summer for pets and small children...straight to you tube is also possible. You could go avian viral.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane -- Marcus Aurelius

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grill evenly and serve with baked asparagus (olive oil, salt and pepper, and parmesan cheese) and a nice Cabernet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poncho: if I stuffed a can of beer in there, probably Birthday Boy Beer-D would show up. No need to use entrails for the hawk feeder; starlings work for him just fine.

    Marginalia: Haha! I don't think DSK would even be a match for my Beeman pellet air rifle let alone Omar.

    Anon 1: I subscribe to a more sustainable approach here at Moronica State Park.

    Anon 2: So then, what Marcus was trying to say was that the object of life is to be on the side of the vanishingly small minority. I haven't decided yet whether I want to go there.

    59er: wait a minute---that's my first draft recipe for Rudy. But I need to plant about a hectare of asparagus and wait for 2 more years. Feeds 50.

    ReplyDelete