Search This Blog

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Saturday Night Fish Fry

*
Has this ever happened to you?



It didn't happen to me, exactly. However, my 7th grade teacher, Miss Kilmartin, left the employ of Woodland School, Illinois School District 152 and a half (no joke!) around Thanksgiving 1966. Coincidentally, it was about that same time I'd laid my hands on a copy of Playboy (stole it from Timmy Rogers big brother, if I remember correctly) and what to my wondering eyes appeared but a Playmate falling out of her sweater who was a dead ringer for Miss K. I was preoccupied with this mystery for a few weeks late in 1966. My dad, who was a member of the school board during that era, might have shed some light on the subject for me, but I couldn't think of any way to approach the subject with him.

Ahem. Anyway, "Chicago's own" Cryan Shames never hit the charts very hard in other parts of the country, but "the Shames" were one of the Windy City's big three rock bands in terms of local pride during the mid-1960s. In my personal mythology, the golden age of Chicago pop bands (including the Buckinghams and the New Colony Six) was 1965 through about mid-1967, with the Shames coming on fast in 1966 and then pretty much finished along with The Summer Of Love.

That's too bad; I wonder why. It's easy to hear that this band had a lot going for it in this 2-minute gem. Listening to it tonight I was surprised how "California" it sounds, with impressive four-part harmonies like the Beach Boys, jangly Byrdslike guitars, and the peppy good-clean-fun pop sound of The Turtles. Very catchy; very slick. A flawless piece of pop that totally flashes me on getting too much sun during the summer of '66---heard it coming out of transistor radios everywhere.

Unfortunately, I don't remember the story of which band member was infatuated with which model from which magazine, or if he ever got his gal. Probably not. But feel free to chime in if you know the tale.

I Wanna Meet You, Cryan Shames (1966, 45 rpm single Columbia 43836), via YouTube, embedded for noncommercial critical discussion and educational purposes.

4 comments:

  1. Sarcastic Big Otis9:45 AM, June 19, 2011

    thanks so much for sharing that magazine

    ReplyDelete
  2. SBO: I can explain that. You never returned my copies of Gala and The Modern Man I found by the tollway overpass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Purely in the interest of inquiry you understand:

    http://toulaki.blogspot.com/2007/12/miss-january-miss-february-miss-march.html

    Gumshoe Hef

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hef: it happens that there is a hardbound set of the complete 20th century centerfold collection in my life sciences library. Alas, none of them from that era is Miss Kilmartin or her doppelganger. The photo must have appeared in one of those girl-next-door features that filled the pages between all the intellectual content.

    ReplyDelete