Search This Blog

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Cavalcade of marsupials

*
It turns out I was correct about the massing of the terror prowling the night kitchen here in my private domain, The United State Of Moronica. Not a mouse. And happily, not a rat. Fifty50 reader Carlos Magnus was kind enough to lend me a small steel live trap, which I deployed Monday night somewhat arbitrarily in front of the basement door against the breakfast nook wall. I loaded the bait tray with a nice Japanese rice cracker thinly coated with peanut butter on each side (for good adhesion to the tray).

At about 0330, around the corner from the head of my bed, I heard something fairly large but sluggish rattling around in the cage. Since I hadn't set the catches on the trap correctly, my prey almost worked himself out before I got him out the front door. Not a raccoon, either: a possum that was almost too large for the cage! Since this drill interrupted a sleep cycle I could barely navigate or perceive what was happening, but felt satisfied with my high-level trapping achievement and quickly drifted off as soon as I hit the mattress.

On a whim, "just in case," I reset the trap again the next night. And I'll be a suck-egg mule if I didn't hear the goddam cage rattling around at the crack of 0230! Luckily, this coincided with the conclusion of a sleep cycle, apparently, and I had the presence of mind to grab the Nikon D80 and take a mugshot of this guy.


Not the same prisoner I took the previous night. Significantly smaller. For reference, the baseboard behind him is about 3 inches high. I was pleased that the creature remained calm and also well behaved, elimination-wise. Having set the trap latches correctly this night, I carried the trap onto the porch and gave him early parole. Of course, on the third night, when I caught another motherfucking possum (same trap, same place, at about 0130 this time), it occurred to me that the specimen pictured above might have found his way back into the crib from the staging area of my porch. He seemed a bit smaller than Two of 4, though (that's right---four!), so it may have been another sibling. Anyway, with great cunning I released the latest addition to my collection all of 15 feet away from the porch, and he made a beeline across the street to hopefully break into a neighbor's house.

Last night, I deployed two live traps (one in the basement) and came up with No. 4 at about 0230; possibly even a bit smaller than No 3. This time I let my captive chill in the cage on the porch for the duration and took him into work with me. While tempted to release him in the foyer of Rudy's apartment building or inside of Walmart on Prospect, I found an unkempt field for the release. Understandably, Four of 4 was showing some teeth to reflect his poor attitude after a noisy, bumpy ride in in the back compartment of the station wagon, but still behaved well enough.

So tonight, in a few minutes I'll swallow a handful of pills and wash 'em down with 8 oz of gin in preparation for bedtime. But again with double-barrel traps baited with a succulent midnight snack for the herd of marsupials in the basement.

6 comments:

  1. you're in downstate Illinois-- can't you make a few bucks selling those to local restaurants?

    ReplyDelete
  2. BO: I doubt it. The restaurants are already infested with the things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You realize of course that there's a semi-local restaurant named "The Possum Trot" (built on the mythical former site of "Terrapin Station").

    Gib Mussop

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you! They are handy creatures to have around because they eat all kinds of bugs, slugs, rats, mice, insects, etc. Let them stick around. You do want to figure out how to keep them out of your house though. I mean, really. How are they getting in?

    ReplyDelete
  5. C'mon Jethro, WTF!? Granny Clampett would've had your ass for letting a freezer full of Possum Soup go.

    Better fix that hole in the wall.

    Classic!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gib: have never been there; have always found the name to be unappetizing for some reason I can't put my finger on.

    Gurlitzer: right you are---the possums shall not be mistreated. I wonder if they eat squirrel carcasses, too. I think the marsupials might be getting in at some exposed rafter ends where the roofers did shoddy work back in ought five.

    59er: for the moment I'll enjoy possums as symbiotic scavengers of on the estate instead of as yard protein.

    ReplyDelete