Search This Blog

Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy Independence Day, Soldier!

*
Beer-D is watching Independence Day fireworks tonight in a small town called Mahomet (yes, I agree---it's a much more peculiar name for these parts even than "Podunk" is). It is a Champaign County bedroom community to which affluent people flee from our twin cities for the "good schools" and other mythical quality-of-life perks. Any-hoo, I received a text message from him shortly before the fireworks began, commenting on how well received some patriotic Toby Keith song was by the Proud Americans in attendance. Then, this exchange between him and me:
Beer-D: There's some bugler actually playing Taps right now. The fuck?
RubberCrutch: He must think it's Memorial Day.
Beer-D: Oh my god, they played it for a guy who's ABOUT to be deployed to Afghanistan!
Well, yes, I understand that Taps is played at lights-out on Army installations every night. Likewise, I am familiar with the fact that the sounding of Taps by a bugler is universally recognized by Americans as a musical salute to a deceased soldier at his or her funeral. I am not a military veteran, but I'm pretty sure that Taps is not a song that a soldier wishes to hear immediately before being deployed to a theater of operations. I wonder if this untimely gaffe even registered with anyone other than the soldier and his family.

3 comments:

  1. the 3 labels that appear at the bottom of your post sum it all up.

    but here's a question-- why did beer-D use precious fuel to drive to Mahomet? Why does anyone-- ever?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Local color? I'd recommend the Danville turtle races. When last this roving reporter checked in the red faced beer drinking emcee in umbrella hat, amidst the likely drugged up amphibious speckled shell box thoroughbreds (of questionable but noble lineage), was choice.

    Donatello (Benvanuto Cellini Garabaldi de Medichi), at your service.

    Chow baby

    ReplyDelete
  3. OCH: he was with friends; hopefully he used someone else's precious fuel.

    Donatello: Sounds like a fun time, except I'd have to go to Danville.

    ReplyDelete