Search This Blog

Friday, May 11, 2012

Apropos of nothing still

*
I've decided that I swear too goddam much. It sounds slovenly to my ears, except on the occasion of a well-selected, well-timed interjection that provides or reinforces an aspect of the communication that can be provided in no other way.

So, while I am not promising to swear off the practice (nyuk nyuk nyuk BONK! D'OHHH!), I do commit to reducing this verbal litter in my beautiful walled garden that is Fifty50. Please do make a note of it, and thank you for your attention in this matter.

4 comments:

  1. I wish I knew what that means. We started saying it in high school, as picked up from who-knows-where, but I could never get a convincing etymology from anybody. Adding to the mystery: before "fuckin' a'" came into fashion, there was a brief time when the expression was "doo a'". About all I know is that in my environs it originated in the "greaser" sector.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it means damned right. Or, you are correct, sir. It's aye, although your greasers (and the jocks I heard it from in college at that same time) weren't too careful about spelling or pronounciating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Roget, I understand what the expression means. It's the origin I'm wondering about. You see, the second word in the expression is pronounced "a", not "eye". Aye (as in "aye aye, sir") is pronounced "eye." So why is this expression not pronounced "Fuckin' eye"? Try again, matey.

    ReplyDelete