Search This Blog

Friday, August 28, 2009

The origin of Big Otis (28 August 1949) [updated]

Part I: postpartum nirvana. If this li'l guy looks like your uncle, send him an email and tell him you're sorry you forgot his birthday. (Me too; couldn't post before midnight.)

489 --- Theodoric, king of the Ostrogoths, defeats Odoacer at the Battle of Isonzo, forcing his way into Italy (Odoacer... haha!).

1609 --- Henry Hudson discovers Delaware Bay (immediately changes his name to "Henry Delaware")

1961 --- Motown releases its first No. 1 hit, "Please Mr. Post(partum)man," by the Marvelettes.

1968 --- Agents provocateurs incite violence at the Democratic National Convention, Chicago (or at least the late Sherman Skolnick thought so).

Luminaries born on 28 August include Tito Capobianco, Argentinian stage impresario and director (1931); Sybille de Selys Longchamps (1941), Belgian aristocrat; Svetislav Pešić (1949), Serbian basketball player and coach; Myke Hawke (1965), American Survivalist. (Editor's note: Haha: I have Freud, Orson Wells, Willie Mays, George Clooney, and Bob Seger... loser!)

Update: well, I got the date wrong in the headline but Big Rock Head told me that the post showed up with a 29 August date stamp. Please make a note of it.

5 comments:

  1. hey, wait a minute, pal. I also get Shania Twain and Leanne Rimes and that great winner, Lou Piniella. And you also have the shape-shifting Tony Blair-- to the same exact minute, no less.

    Plus, if I get to claim August 29 too, I get Michael Jackson as well. And I'm bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah? Well MY birthday is the Cambodian National Day of Hatred AND the feast of Saint Lucifer!

    Also, Happy Birthday Uncle Otis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, thank you Beardy. But no need for the formality. Please, call me uncle Big. Like your little brother, Big.

    ReplyDelete
  4. StuporMundi-- you forgot Aug. 28, 1963-- Martin Luther King's famous "I have a Dream" speech. That same day, inexplicably, a pumped up Jesse Jackson and Stokely Carmichael beat the shit out of a chubby 12 year old white boy from Missouri who would grow up to become world-famous for bigotry and boringness.

    Rush Limbaugh-- a man so big, fat and idiotic that he was referred to as such by no less than a United States Senator!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BO@1137: like I said, LOSER! Hell, my disaster is even much better than yours (Hindenburg vs Ramstein Air Show... yawn).

    Beardy: you have discovered your true purpose. Now go forth and MULTIPLYYYYY!!!

    Oil Can: in your alternate timeline I wish those fellas would have finished the job they started. (I can't let the troglodytes have all the fun during this Summer of Hate, after all.)

    ReplyDelete