Search This Blog

Friday, February 11, 2011

February thaw

*
Hi. Remember me?

Reintegration of the shoulder bone has been going well, and I'm probably a week ahead of schedule in terms of physical therapy progress. Reintegration of my headbone back into the work cycle has been more difficult.

And regarding my absence from here, it's not as if my mind isn't brimming with verities that I need to share with everyone. What's going on is that it's still fairly hard to align my thoughts into sequences of words that comprise coherent sentences; takes me 45 minutes to squeeze out a 20-minute post still, at least if I want it to apply some craftsmanship.

Also, the house has sort of devolved into a virtual turd mine, and my usually pitiful organizing skills are still in the sub-remedial zone. And although I'm actually a fan of fairly robust winters, this current one has sucked rocks beyond decades of memory. It's been a miserable, bitter, relentless winter just like the ones I remember in the Chicago south suburbs as a paper boy, wearing crappy JC Penney winter jackets made out of stiff polyester and primitive fiberfill, with my skin blanching toward Edgar-Winter white on face and under under useless mittens and footwear.

But even then, we always got a February thaw. Ours here in central Illinois would appear to be on the way in the upcoming week, starting tomorrow. I'm hoping that when I kick back the slabs of compressed ice pellets we've been walking on for almost two weeks I will feel tumescent shoots drilling skyward through the scalp from my mental bulbs. I've about had it with living like a ghost.

4 comments:

  1. A veritable verities of verities, welcome back and ever onward to improving health and function. From my view this Winter was nostalgic and "real" vs the half arsed imitations lately that came with attendant verification of screwed up climate (a.k.a. visceral impact of perception). Never fear, the restraining latch on a tightly wound Spring is a hair's breadth from "SPROO-ING!!!"

    In my time saw both Johnny and Edgar in separate shows. For some reason Edgar preferentially brought out the biker crowd. And for whatever reason Johnny had a ironed hair blonde girl on stage near his marked out performance "zone" who did absolutely nothing.

    Just going with the changes,
    "Blind Lemon Twist Red Haired" Jones

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blind Lemon: I agree with your sentiment, generally. Most winters downstate here have been fairly anemic affairs compared with my memory of living in the "lake effect" zone of Chicago. I was doing fine with it into January---amazing what well designed winter clothing will do to one's foul attitude about cold and snow---but being mostly disabled when the ice pellets welded themselves to everything was a multi-bummer for me. Also, like many humanoids, I'm a sun-sensitive creature who prefers longer photoperiods to shorter ones. Meanwhile, everything is healing nicely (as Frank Zappa once said).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to have you back. Love the music; takes me back to my school days, thinking myself so cool as I listened to Stax and my mates were grooving to the Rockin' Berries.

    You don't happen to have come across O V Wright's "Gone For Good". I first heard it 46 years ago and still can't get it out of my head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marginalia: yes, in fact I did find it. See the Tuesday night post! I was hoping someone from across the shimmering, cod-choked North Atlantic would post a comment on this music as I think Brits of a certain age know boatloads more about U.S. blues and soul than most of us here. Even having some decent awareness of soul, I'd never heard of O.V. Wright. And to this day I've never heard a side by J.B. Lenoir, who Mayall celebrated on The Turning Point in 1969. I'm glad you're enjoying these selections!

    ReplyDelete