Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

For Marginalia

*
In previous comments, Marginalia reminisced about an O.V. Wright single, "Gone For Good." I'd never heard of Wright, but thanks to YouTube I found the song in question. Unfortunately, the poster disabled the embed code so I can't display it on this page. But here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuCrSDFK0vk

Give it a listen. The band sounds very "Memphis," and Wright reminds me strongly of someone---Otis Redding, maybe? I like it: this sound has the unmistakable sound of a very specific place in time, and it makes the intervening years fade from memory for a coupla minutes.

And you're right, Marginalia: you really were cool listening to Stax while your pals were listening to the Rockin' Berries. (Nothing against the Berries, but I never heard them until a few minutes ago on YouTube; don't remember them ever charting in Chicago, but then there was a strong regional rock and pop scene that may have crowded them out where I grew up in the mid-60s. I'm guessing from the sound of those guys that they were a group the girls really "dug".)

Aside to Marginalia: I notice you've adopted an alias. I hope this doesn't mean you've had to enter the witness protection program....

2 comments:

  1. You've made an old(ish) man very happy. Thanks, a great song.

    In about '65 we had pirate radio stations scattered all over the North Sea. One of them hosted the Mike Raven show; where I first heard O.V. Phil Upchurch, Sam and Dave and "Walk on the Water" by the Ramsey Lewis Trio.

    All great sounds, but in '67 or '68 I bought the CBS sampler "The Rock Machine Turns You On" and I lost my soul to the West Coast.

    Nope "Can I get a Witness"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marginalia: I'm glad you're interested in this stuff. I will keep exploring for more obscure soul and R&B that is new to me but maybe fondly remembered by kids who collected "northern soul." I don't know if the Numero Group's Eccentric Soul series is available in the UK, but if so, I'd recommend going over the title listings on Amazon or elsewhere. I bet you'll find songs that you almost forgot and never thought you'd hear again.

    ReplyDelete