Search This Blog

Friday, December 9, 2011

For The FiftyNiner

*
I'm sure you know many versions of this one, but I'm afraid I'm just not qualified to surprise you for Christmas, Dick Dale-wise.



To make matters worse, surprise-wise, this is certainly the most overexposed track from Mr. Dale's catalog thanks to Pulp Fiction. However, I'm thinking that maybe, if you're a little like me, you may at least appreciate the presence of the lady in the foreground sporting the classic mid-sixties wide track chassis. Also, dig that opening shot---very promising... before the director settled for a wimped-down blackout segue into a pretty static filming of the Del-Tones performance.

But what the heck does Dick Dale need with these Del-Tones, anyway? First, listen for them---are they even playing? I can hear one of the two rhythm guitar players, barely, and a bit of drumkit in places about halfway through. The tenor and bass may be there just to add sex appeal. No, probably not---take a look at these jokers when the film starts jump-cutting between mugshots, around 2:10. Holy kazoosis! And they can't even sway convincingly. No wonder there's only one gal in the audience! And she's probably there with Dale (at least for the evening).

It must have been the FiftyNiner who told me that Dale has some strong Arab roots. Listening to his technique on this cut and so many others, it seems like that should have been obvious, but I never made the connection. It occurs to me that Dale's use of a mode for the lead line, instead of a diatonic scale, gives him something in common with Miles Davis (assuming that my earbones understand it correctly, and they may not). Davis purportedly "reinvented jazz" using that composing technique a few years earlier for Kind of Blue.

So anyway, young feller, Merry Christmas... because you've been jak sie masz-ed!

Misirlou, Dick Dale and the Del-Tones (1963 performance from the Bengal International film, A Swingin' Affair), embedded for noncommercial critical discussion and educational purposes.

2 comments:

  1. My Bro-Crutch!

    I've been slammed since August, but lurking, meaning to post on several occasions but the Cabernet kicked in before I had a chance.

    The Arab DD I sent you back when was "The Victor" from 1964. His best piece by far. And I never really thought him Arab sounding until you mentioned it, but yeah I guess he does that.

    If you want "Surf" for Christmas the Ventures Christmas LP would be the one.

    I see you pulled that "Electric Santa 225 Wide" out again. I might have to put that on my Facebook. Can't find a good Coca-Cola one.

    Got to be some good "After Hours" Christmas stuff out there somewhere.

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Slammed" meaning "hammered," maybe? If so, please take care of your liver (e.g., moderate, and go light on the Advil). If something more dire, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope everyone is OK.

    Apoplectic Santa has become a tradition here around Christmas. He hangs in my kitchen all year. Today I pried him open and replaced his bombillas, and rinsed off a few decades of dust. He's an early 1950s artifact, found in a shop for too much money. But he's in such good shape I couldn't leave him there. I decorate little for Christmas, but glowing Santa must be there.

    Good to know you're still out there. Take care.

    ReplyDelete