Search This Blog

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Prelude to "today's doke"

In order to move this blog a little further away from mediocrity and more in the direction of charming idiosyncracy, I have decided to change the title of my "humor corner" from "Today's chuckle" to "Today's doke." A fast search of The Google tells me that everybody and her giant embryo is using "today's chuckle" to flag their own so-called humorous content. Well, StuporMundi don't roll that way, mostly because everything he finds on the web tagged as "today's chuckle" just really sucks.

So starting now, and until such time as I realize that this is stupid, I hereby re-christen my funny stuff as "Today's doke." A doke happens to be anything that is very funny, especially to a childish person, whether it is a joke, peculiar-sounding flatus in a somber setting, or a frat boy driving to Foosland with sand in his gas tank. As far as I know, the inventor of the doke is Big Otis, who known by many names (as is Lucifer). We experienced many dokes from the time I was a toddler. Often they involved such merriment as my breaking Nana's tear-shaped eyeglasses from the top bunk bed, or putting a thumbtack on The Music Man's kitchen chair before dinner. And to inaugurate "Today's doke," as a matter of fact, I present an original portrait of The Music Man, by Big Otis (c. 1964). It was probably BO's response to some long-forgotten humiliation, or maybe to having his little head put through the Beatle drywall one Beatle time too many during a fab Beatle weekend. All this should serve as more than enough information on the topic. And the image is copyright 2008 by the artist known as Big Otis.

No comments:

Post a Comment