Search This Blog

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Chronicles of VapoRub bioavailability 1(2)

*
As promised in a previous comments thread, this post presents my latest datum on VapoRub from the night of 8 - 9 November 2008. The investigation attempts to verify the rumored utility of VapoRub as a cough suppressant during sleep when it is applied to the soles of a person's feet and covered with socks.

Immediately before retiring last evening, I once again slathered a moderate amount of Vick's VapoRub on the soles of my feet. As in the experimental run of 7 -8 November 2008, I began with the left foot, using my right hand, then carefully drew on a clean, lightweight cotton sock (black/brown houndstooth check if you must know). I took care not to wipe any VapoRub off the foot onto the sleeve of the sock. I then repeated the same sequence on the right foot, this time applying the medicated goo with the left hand. The sensation, as in the previous experimental run, was both comforting and slightly annoying; the moisture felt a bit sloppy, but not to any extent that should dissuade your own experimentation. Also, to preserve my original methodology, I used the Vick's inhaler thingy before conking out.

The result of this run was that I had even a better night's sleep than during the first run, which itself was of a very high quality. For background purposes, it should be noted that I typically awaken briefly once or twice a night at the conclusion of one or two 90-minute sleep cycles. These awakenings are either used for (1) voiding or (2) confirming that it's not time to wake up yet, immediately heralding the start of a fresh sleep cycle. I judge sleep quality by how well rested I feel in the morning; normal interruptions do not detract from good basic sleep quality, but fewer interruptions do enhance the quality significantly. [Editor's note: StuporMundi provides this personal sleep information to document the metrics for sleep quality used in this study, not because he's a lifestyle exhibitionist.]

Without knowing the mechanism of the cough-suppressing effect, I have become confident that there is a direct correlation between this medical application and my enjoyment of a restful sleep despite my being gruesomely ill. Without hesitation, I will repeat the application until I have recovered.

I don't know if Big Otis was ribbing us about the feet being "conduits of health", but something like that idea is present in folk medicine. It is said that if you rub the bottom of your feet with garlic cloves, you will taste it in your mouth in about 20 minutes, even without sucking on your own toes. Or at least that's what I read in an email chain letter. I may try the garlic experiment at a later date.

BO, who is a trained and degreed scientist, also hypothesized that the cough-suppressing effect may simply be the same one you get by simply rubbing the stuff on your chest. Using the foot modality of delivery, I experienced no sensation of "mintiness" or "warmth" anywhere near the chest --- only in the nose tubes that sucked up the vapors from the inhaler. The onset of the effect must be slow or subtle; the last thing I remember before drifting off to sleep was to wonder if it was going to work, because I felt like I could start coughing at any time. Upon awakening in the morning, I had no impulse to cough, and no significant sensation of irritation in the lungs. And it is worth noting that, according to my memory, having VapoRub smeared over one's upper torso is quite annoying in terms of the "sloppiness" metric, and I also seem to recall that the torso application causes excessive sweating, which aggravates the discomfort of stewing in one's own mentholated, virus-infested sauce.

In this second run I added an observational phase in the morning. Checking the bottoms of my feet, there was absolutely no trace of greasy residue from the VapoRub. Assuming it had wicked into the socks, I checked. Neither sock felt the slightest bit greasy to the touch, and I smelled no hint of menthol. I did, however, smell the miasma of podobromidrosis, which I did not expect. No single mechanism cries out as an explanation for the conspicuous vanishing of all traces of the aromatic grease. Bioabsorption does not sound farfetched to this simple country editor, but as the scientific community always says, "more research is needed."

5 comments:

  1. let me suggest a couple corollary experiments. Beardy should try sleeping with his feet immersed in budweiser-soaked diapers. And maybe BRH could put a small pumpkin on each foot. The possibilities are endless.

    Plus, I'm too lazy to look this up, but it would be intersting to see what the accupuncture meridians from the feet are. Anything going to the lungs? The relief you are finding sounds like bronchodilation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. another similar, and popular, application of this. Mrs. Gangster of Love puts bars of soap in bed, down near the feet, and swears it reduces arthritis pains in the morning. I've heard from others that are "positive" this makes a difference.

    I'm off to invent an under-the-covers medicine cabinet. No reason many remedies couldn't enter the feet simultaneously. I just hope some joker doesn't piss in it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would Mentholatum work instead of Vaporub?

    ReplyDelete
  4. anon: yes

    verification word this time: oxing

    man, I keep getting good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BO: just go look up the acupuncture meridians, already. You have nothing more important to do. After my experience with some new "non-drowsy" medicines that replaced my old standby, Drixoral (which evidently is now scarcer than toothbrushes were in your childhood), I think we're all fools not to look at natural and traditional medicines with a wide-open mind. Will write more on this unless I'm too lazy.

    Anon: try it, dude. If it's similar ingredients in a petroleum jelly matrix, then why not?

    BRH: thanks for checking in, little guy.

    ReplyDelete