Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Hillary's convention speech

*
I caught a few minutes near the end of it. Seemed to be well written, and I liked the allusion to Harriet Tubman --- good work, whoever thought of that twofer for this specific setting.

Clinton looked relaxed and very well rehearsed. I thought her delivery was much less wooden than it was during the primary season, but it still had a small whiff of Classic American Revival Tent Political Oratory, which very few pols really ever transcend. Her presence reminded me of Ted Kennedy at the convention in 1980, when I developed the hypothesis that marquee politicians who run for president give their best speeches as also-rans, after they have anything to gain personally from the oratory. At that time, Kennedy gave a true, sincere barn-burner that greatly elevated my opinion of him. I think Clinton approached that league tonight.

Now, if she would just kick that peckerwood husband of hers to the curb and then return to the Senate as a strong liberal voice until Obama nominates her to the Supreme Court.

Update: As an afterthought, I must note that I am perplexed by her selection of a Gitmo-drag orange jumpsuit from her senatorial wardrobe. Maybe it's time that she get rid of her present wardrobe.

Late update: "Ah, so you want to get rid of President Ward Robey!?!"

1 comment:

  1. Former President Peckerwood gives his speech tomorrow night and he's not one to let his wife upstage him. And her speech basically locks him in, or he might as well skip it altogether. Look for another great one.

    And Obama has to top them all on Thursday.

    But THEN, next week, we get to hear the soaring thoughts and words of afterglow from Bush and Cheney-- and I can't wait for Cindy McCain's rhetorical gymnastics. Or maybe she'll just strip.

    ReplyDelete